WELCOME to the 12th annual Baltimore Dancesport Challenge!
We are so excited to be planning a fun and safe event for our competitors this October. The even is held at the beautiful Westin BWI, just 10 minutes south of downtown Baltimore and with free shuttle service to BWI airport. We are a one-day Pro/Am and Amateur Ballroom & Latin Dance Competition sanctioned by the National Dance Council of American (NDCA). The event begins with a Welcome reception on Friday night and continues on Saturday with a full day of competition. We offer competition in all age categories, styles, and divisions including competitive scholarship events. The day concludes with Solos, an exciting Professional Show, Top Awards Presentation and this year a COSTUME BALL!
COVID is of course on everyone's minds. Our organizer, Marielle Pabon, had the pleasure of being able run the first multi-day dance competition in June (www.dancenorthcoast.com) with her husband. She is aware of what it takes to run a Covid style event that keeps the safety of the dancers paramount. Her goal is to keep everyone dancing - both students and teachers!
Below are some of the modifications you'll see at the event this year. As more or different changes come to light, we will be make the necessary announcements.
- There will be no on-deck area. All dancers will enter from where they are seated.
- All events for each style will run back-to-back. Single, Multi-Dance, and Scholarship events. This will allow for us to clear the ballroom after each style to keep the minimum number of dancers/guests in the ballroom. We don't want anyone having to wait around to dance additional events, understanding that many competitors may want to compete and then leave.
- In the event that we are unable to provide water stations, bottled water will be provided for competitors.
- We will not have changing rooms as we usually do. To keep maximum social distancing in effect we ask that everyone make other arrangements for changing costumes. We have a great room rate with the Westin and we would recommend getting a room for the day - with friends in your "circle", to allow for the space and distancing necessary for changing.
- We will have a practice floor, but we will be limiting the number of competitors on the floor at any time to help with social distancing.
- The NDCA has wonderful rules in place about the number of competitors on the floor at a time. Our floor (60x40) is large enough to accommodate these numbers of competitors while still being socially distanced. Make sure to work on your Floor Craft ahead of the competition to ensure your space.